Sweet “LemonAid” Pie
• 14 whole graham crackers, broken
• ¼ cup sugar
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• Two 14-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
• 1¼ cups fresh lemon juice, plus 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
• 8 large egg yolks
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers with the sugar and salt until finely ground but not powdery. Add the melted butter and pulse until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Press the mixture on the sides and bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Set the pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the condensed milk with the lemon juice. In another bowl, using a mixer, beat the lemon zest with the egg yolks until pale. Beat in the condensed milk mixture until smooth. Pour the filling into the crust.
4. Bake the pie for 25 minutes, until the center juggles slightly and the edges are set. Transfer the pan to a rack; let cool for 1 hour. Loosely cover the pan with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours.
5. Wrap a warm, damp kitchen towel around the side of the pie plate to release the pie. Using a hot knife, slice the pie and serve. Top with whipped cream if desired.